DTC Review for the Civil PE Exam:
READY TO PURCHASE YOUR COURSE? GO STRAIGHT TO OUR CATALOG.
If your work is focused on soil mechanics and properties, earth structures and foundations, the Geotechnical PE Exam is the right exam for you.
– Dr. Tom
Before you choose the Geotechnical Exam as your PM Exam, we recommend that you watch Dr. Tom’s Civil Exam Strategy – Part 1 Video to see Dr. Tom’s recommendations on PM Exam choice.
Signing up for the DTC Review for the Civil: Geotechnical PE Exam gives you access to Dr. Tom’s successful, exam-focused, online course from the day you sign until the day of the exam.
“I passed the Civil Geotechnical PE Exam with a score of 79. Thank you for providing excellent tools for taking the test. It really was the best method to help me prepare well. I will be telling my colleagues about your course and how well it worked for me.
Thanks again!” – PE, Texas
Geotechnical Course Structure
The Review covers both the AM Breadth Exam and the PM Geotechnical Exam.
Civil AM Exam (Breadth)
For the first 15 weeks, you will review the common Civil AM Exam topics in each of the five Civil Engineering areas: Construction, Geotechnical, Structural, Transportation and Water Resources & Environmental. Each area is covered in three weeks and you will have five expert instructors, one for each topic.
Time Frame Options
12 months to 6 months before the exam
6 months to 3 months before the exam
3 months to 1 months before the exam
With each of these options, you receive the same comprehensive review; the only difference is how long you have access to the course. You are paying for access to a specific course for a set period of time. That’s why longer access to the course costs more.
You have access to all the course materials from the day you sign up until the day of the exam, so you can start your review immediately and work at your own pace until the exam. Check out the Civil Catalog to see which time frame options are currently available or coming soon for upcoming exam dates.
What to Expect
This comprehensive and targeted review uses Dr. Tom’s tried and true method for relearning the needed engineering concepts, organizing your exam resource materials, and using his problem-solving strategy to maximize your ability to solve problems quickly during the exam.
You course will be 100% online, and you can access the course materials 24/7 allowing you to work at your own pace and on your own schedule. We have also kept the course videos short (10 to 30 minutes) to give you the flexibility to fit your review into your schedule.
In the Review, you follow detailed, day-by-day assignments in your study plan in which you:
- go online to watch pre-recorded video lessons (over 50),
- read selected assignments in the CERM and other reference books,
- learn the most efficient ways to solve problems,
- work numerous, carefully chosen problems including:
- assigned NCEES practice exam problems,
- weekly Challenge Problems with solution videos in the course (over 50),
- weekly Assessment Problems in the course,
- access a Participant Forum to ask your instructors questions about the course content,
- download handouts for every lesson and problem presented,
- use these handouts and your notes to build your own Personalized Resource Notebooks,
- download and use the Civil: Geotechnical Exam Day Companion reference.
It’s a lot of material and a lot of work, but if you follow the plan, you will be prepared for the exam
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
Geotechnical Course Syllabus
1 AM Structural Week 1: Solid Mechanics
2 AM Structural Week 2: Advanced Design and Materials
3 AM Structural Week 3: Applications to Structures
4 AM Construction Week 1: Cost Estimating and Project Scheduling
5 AM Construction Week 2: Construction Methods, Loading & Temporary Structures
6 AM Construction Week 3: Surveying, Earthwork and Safety
7 AM Water Resources/Environmental Week 1: Fluid Mechanics
8 AM Water Resources/Environmental Week 2: Rainfall Runoff Prediction
9 AM Water Resources/Environmental Week 3: Stormwater Collection
10 AM Transportation Week 1: Horizontal Alignment
11 AM Transportation Week 2: Vertical Alignment
12 AM Transportation Week 3: Traffic Volume
13 AM Geotechnical Week 1: Soil Mechanics and Soil Properties
14 AM Geotechnical Week 2: Soil Mechanics
15 AM Geotechnical Week 3: Materials
16 PM Geotechnical Week 4: Site Characterization, Soil Mechanics and Testing
17 PM Geotechnical Week 5: Seismic, Groundwater, and Earth Structures
18 PM Geotechnical Week 6: Earth Structures
19 PM Geotechnical Week 7: Earth Retaining Structures
20 PM Geotechnical Week 8: Shallow Foundations & Deep Foundations
Geotechnical Course Required & Recommended Texts
- PE Civil Reference Manual (CERM)
- NCEES PE Civil Practice Exam
- ASCE 7 – Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures
- OSHA 29 CFR – Part 1926, Subpart P – Excavations, Safety and Health Regulations for Construction
- FHWA NHI-01-031 Subsurface Investigations – Geotechnical Site Characterization Reference Manual
- NAVFAC DM 7.01 Soil Mechanics
- NAVFAC DM 7.02 Foundations and Earth Structures
- Other references recommended by NCEES in the NCEES Exam Specifications
You will receive detailed information about which editions to acquire and where to get them after you sign up for your course.
READY TO PURCHASE YOUR COURSE?
GO STRAIGHT TO ONE OF OUR CATALOGS.