HVAC & Refrigeration PE Exam Prep
READY TO PURCHASE YOUR COURSE? GO STRAIGHT TO OUR CATALOG.
DTC Review for the CBT Mechanical PE Exam:
HVAC & Refrigeration
If your work experience is heavily involved in HVAC or refrigeration, the HVAC & Refrigeration PE Exam may be the right exam for you. By that, I mean that you have a copy of the ASHRAE manual on your desk, in your car, and by your bed. – Dr. Tom
Before you choose the HVAC & Refrigeration Exam as your PE Exam, we recommend that you watch Dr. Tom’s Mechanical Exam Strategy – Part 1 Video to see Dr. Tom’s recommendations on Exam choice.
Signing up for the DTC Review for the Mechanical: HVAC & Refrigeration PE Exam gives you access to Dr. Tom’s successful, exam-focused, online course for one full year from the day you purchase your course.
“I want to thank the Dr. Tom team for their hard work in putting together a well-structured and comprehensive review system. The beauty of the DTC program is that it focuses you on the types of problems that are going to net you the biggest gains, and it paid off. Thank you again for the time and preparation you put in to preparing us. It was well worth it.”
– Shaun, Lehi, Utah
HVAC & Refrigeration Course Structure
Dr. Tom’s Comprehensive 20-Week Plan
The Review covers targeted topics on the Mechanical: HVAC & Refrigeration Exam, and it is based on a 20-Week review structure. Each week is devoted to a different topic and provides you with lessons and practice, familiarizing you with solutions for the type of problems you will see on the exam.
Timed practice exams throughout the course help you build your confidence in solving problems in exam-like conditions. By then end of your review, you will have the knowledge and skills you need to pass the exam.
Dr. Thomas H. Brown, PE will be your instructor for the first 10 weeks of the course, covering Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Basic Refrigeration.
Dr. Stephen Terry, PE will will be your instructor for the last 10 weeks of the course, covering HVAC and Advanced Refrigeration.
Dr. Daniel Findley, PE teaches Engineering Economics topics.
Pay Up Front
Start for only $50
and save $50!
Purchase the course in 2 modules:
- First module for $50
- All other modules for $1150
Start for only $50 and
spread out your payments!
Purchase the course in 7 modules:
- First module for $50
- 6 other modules @ $200 each
Three Flexible Payment Options
Try Before You Buy for Only $50!
Buying a PE Exam Review is a major purchase. That’s why we offer three flexible ways to pay for your course and save money. With each payment option, you receive the same comprehensive review; the only difference is when you pay and the overall cost.
With our Pay-As-You-Go and Test Drive options, you can try out our courses for only $50 before you buy the full course. We’re so sure you’ll like what you see that there’s no obligation beyond your initial purchase.
You can save $100 if you Pay Up Front for the full course and save $50 with our Test Drive option.
You have access to all the course materials for a full year, starting the day you purchase each module, so you can start your review immediately and work at your own pace until the exam. The ideal time to begin your 20-Week Review is 24 weeks before your exam date.
What to Expect
This comprehensive and targeted review uses Dr. Tom’s method for relearning the needed engineering concepts, becoming familiar with the Reference Handbook, and using his problem-solving strategy to maximize your ability to solve problems quickly during the exam.
Your course will be 100% online, and you can access the course materials 24/7 allowing you to work at your own pace and on your own schedule. We have also kept the course videos short (10 to 30 minutes) to give you the flexibility to fit your review into your schedule.
You have the opportunity to view each video lesson 3 times. This limit is necessary to ensure that only one person is using the course. We have found that the 3 views are sufficient for most participants for most of the lessons. If you need to view a few lessons more than 3 times, we are happy to reset your access to those for you on request.
In the Review, you follow detailed, day-by-day assignments in your study plan in which you:
- go online to watch pre-recorded video lessons (over 50),
- learn the most efficient ways to solve problems,
- work numerous, carefully chosen problems including:
- Lesson Problems with solution videos
- assigned NCEES practice exam problems,
- Challenge Problems with solution videos in the course (over 50),
- weekly Assessment Quiz in the course,
- access a Participant Forum to ask your instructors questions about the course content,
- download handouts for every lesson presented,
- use the Mechanical Reference Handbook Companion to become familiar with where to find information in the NCEES Handbook.
- take timed practice exams throughout the course to build your confidence solving problems in exam-like conditions.
It’s a lot of material and a lot of work, but if you follow the plan, you will be prepared for the exam.
Sample Lessons from DTC Mechanical PE Exam Reviews
These are lesson videos from our Mechanical PE Exam Review lessons for the new CBT exam format. They give you a good idea what the lessons are like.
HVAC & Refrigeration Course Syllabus
- Fluid Mechanics: Properties & Bernoulli w/o friction
- Fluid Mechanics: Bernoulli w/friction & Pump & Affinity Laws
- Thermodynamics: 1st Law Closed – Real & Ideal Gas
- Thermodynamics: 1st Law Open – Real & Ideal Gas
- Thermodynamics: Thermal Efficiency & COP’s
- Thermodynamics: 2nd Law – Closed & Open Systems,
- Isentropic Processes & Adiabatic Efficiencies
- Refrigeration Cycle, p-h Diagram & Engineering Economics
- Heat Transfer: Conduction & Convection
- Heat Transfer: Radiation & Heat Exchangers
- Heat Transfer: LMTD Correction & e-NTU Method
- HVAC: Psychrometrics
- HVAC: Basic HVAC Processes – 1
- HVAC: Basic HVAC Processes – 2
- HVAC: Load Calculation
- HVAC: Supply Air Flow
- HVAC: Air Systems
- HVAC: Boilers & Chillers
- HVAC: Pumping Systems
- HVAC: Fans & Ductwork
NOTE: Engineering Practice & Supportive Knowledge Assignments are included throughout Weeks 4-10.
HVAC & Refrigeration Required Text
- NCEES PE Mechanical Reference Handbook
The only reference that you will be allowed to use during the exam is the NCEES PE Mechanical Reference Handbook. You will receive detailed information about how to acquire this free reference after you sign up for your course.
NEED MORE INFORMATION?